Micro Posts (Twitter Updates)

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, April 8, 2009

    The Celebs and the Conservative of Singapore

    Today I saw Ben Yeo, a Singaporean actor, whom I originally knew as Terry from TVB's Yummy Yummy drama series (one of my favourite series)! On my way to dinner at Cathay I recognised Ah Ben (as he's other wised known as in Singapore) queuing up for the ATM just outside Cathay! Then I heard my friends talking about him and I was so tempted to go up and ask for a picture, but I didn't have my camera with me and my Asian-ness also stopped me from randomly going up to people on the street asking for photos! I only remembered later that I have a camera function on my phone! I don't think Singaporeans randomly go up to local actors and ask for photos and autographs either hence why none of my friends thought of doing the same thing. I do wonder how those in the media spotlight would react to being approached on the streets. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I had gone up to him as I'm not Singaporean, just an international fan haha.

    Then after dinner, back to the library as usual, but there's music blasting out from outside, sounded like a concert. Then I recognised one of the songs as Kaiser Chief's "Every Day I Love You Less and Less"! Then another familiar song was played after it. Did a little research on the internet only to find out Kaiser Chief were actually playing at Fort Canning Park! Right next to school! No wonder I could hear loud music throughout the day! Must have been rehearsals. Then later on, I heard "I Predict a Riot". These are the songs that remind me of student life back in England and my friends back home! I really wished they were there with me at the library to play "guess the Kaiser Chief song" or even better, actually at the concert. I was in no mood to do work after I found out I was missing out on their gig which was happening right next door! (><) Gutted! So I had to force myself out of the library and head home to do work and blog about it to get the adrenaline and frustration out of my system. I was so tempted to stay and just listen to the concert from SMU! But deadlines are closing in on me, so I needed my will power to come into play. So not a bad day today!

    One more random thing that I want to share which happened yesterday. I was wearing my We Walk Butterfly tee (pictured left and right but mine is in orange) and as you can see from the picture on the left, it shows a lot of the back, so I decided to wear a black cropped bandeau top underneath so I'm not showing too much flesh, just the lower back and top half of my shoulder blades (but from the front it looks just like a normal tshirt right). Whilst I was on the MRT, an "aunty" (Singlish for a woman of the older generation) getting off at one of the stops tugs at my top from behind a few times as she passes me and says something in Mandarin. I only heard 'hou bien' which means 'back', so I guess she was trying to cover me up??? I found it rather amusing to be honest, but also thought 'since when was Singapore so conservative?'. There are girls who wear short shorts and tiny tank tops everyday and show a lot more skin than I was yesterday, I was wearing baggy jeans too! At least I was wearing something underneath. Only in a Chinese community do things like this happen. That's why I love it. =)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment