Micro Posts (Twitter Updates)

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, March 28, 2009

    Food Diversity Weekend

    For the past week I should have been eating anything that I can easily and quickly get my hands on (like hawker food) because week 12 is at an end and that means deadlines this week! So people are rushing to finish off projects, reports, papers, and 'mugging' for final tests and quizzes (I have one of each due this week). For me however, it feels as though it's been like that every week since I got back from recess, so it's been a while since I ate anything other than Koufu or Kopitiam. So the past 2 days have been such a refreshing change in terms of cuisine!

    It's so easy for me to just eat what I'm comfortable with in Singapore as I'm surrounded by Chinese food. But that's not to say that Singaporean food is just Chinese food. Singapore is the only place I know that can safely say it's very diverse, and it's reflected in the food. Just over the weekend I had 3 different types of cuisine (if not more) over 2 to 3 days. I went from Indian Muslim food, to Chinese dessert to really good Western food!

    To find out where I went and see pictures and videos click on the post title.


    Friday - Indian Muslim Food at Beach Road hawker centre (army market) + Chinese dessert around Bugis

    So on Friday a classmate wanted to show me something a little different about Singapore and took me and a few friends to have Indian Muslim food. We had mutton steak (bottom right of the picture)- finely chopped mutton cooked dry with diced vegetables, Mee Kuah (far left) - which has noodles in a red spicy sauce with diced mutton, potatoes and peas and some other veg and Sup Tulang (square dish at the top) which is primarily eaten for the bone marrow. The thing about the Sup Tulang is that you have to get to the bone marrow yourself and the video below shows how we attempted the muslim way of eating Sup Tulang. I know the food might not look very appetizing but I've learnt that when it comes to food, you can't let the appearance fool you.




    After dinner we went to Bugis for Ah Chew Desserts. It's the perfect place to satisfy your sweet cravings and even for night time supper. This was only my second visit and ever since I was taken there for the first time a month ago, I still wonder why none of my local friends brought me there before or even suggested it last semester?! It's more of a local favourite and they serve a range of Chinese desserts such as glutinous rice balls, grass jelly, sweet soup based desserts and I was so happy when I found out they had my favourite dessert - mango, sago and pomelo (pictured left) and even the option to add Durian to it!

    Saturday - Brewerkz and Churros

    Saturday we decided to splurge out a little and headed to Clarke Quay for dinner and a few drinks with friends. We already planned this at the start of the week when I saw Angry AngMo's suggested top 5 places for burgers in Singapore and Brewerkz was one of them. As they're known to have good beer (as they brew it themselves) we decided to throw all our cravings into one (because we haven't really been out drinking/clubbing much this semester either).

    Earth Ho
    ur
    <---- Clarke Quay during Earth Hour... Difference?

    While we were there I was expecting to have witnessed an hour of "darkness" for Earth Hour, but it didn't seem as though Clarke Quay switched off that many lights? Perhaps I was expecting a bit too much, I guess when I read that Clarke Quay was taking part in the initiative they only switched off the 'Clarke Quay' sign? The surrounding hotels took part too by switching off their main lights but there wasn't much of a difference? I think they could have switched off a few more lights if they really wanted to show their support.


    Fashion Bar
    The logo on the window of this bar is what caught my attention when I first saw i
    t last semester because I only associated it with Fashion TV, but what lured us there at the weekend was $5 Martini's for girls (yes even on a Saturday night, a promotional offer only throughout March). Even though the alcohol was rather weak (what do you expect for $5 really?) we stayed there until we felt like having a little more food.

    Across from Fashion Bar is Allegro, a rather well known place for Spanish street food. So for dessert we had Churros and chocolate sauce, and they even have 2 for 1 cocktails! Who would have known there would be good drink deals around Clarke Quay on a saturday night?!

    Typical Student balancing act


    1 comment: