Micro Posts (Twitter Updates)

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, May 17, 2009

    Kiasuism = Irrational threats?

    Today has proved it. My Landlord is the most Kiasu person I know (or the most ridiculous) because he threatened to take legal action against me for not being available at 4pm today to let prospective tenants view the place! Or that's how it seemed... I'm rather offended actually, but also find it rather amusing . Now all of his past behaviours and him refusing me to leave one month early all kind of makes sense... especially now I know he's asking for a monthly rental of $2800 for the place (I'm paying freaking $3600!!!!!... Yes I know it's really expensive, I guess I got cheated and taken advantage for being a foreigner?)

    I mean I know Singaporeans are very "Kiasu" but seriously? Legal action? What could I possibly be charged for? Having a life? Not being present in my own home? Or trying to reorganise a viewing for the prospective tenants?

    Which brings me to think that the Singaporean "Kiasu" mentality makes them think and act irrationally and suffer from unnecessary paranoia? That, or my Landlord is just an arse.

    Click the Post title to find out how/why my Landlord threatened me with legal action.



    So here's the story:

    Yesterday my agent messaged me to say there were people interested in viewing the property (my tenancy is up on June 15th) and says if 4pm tomorrow is OK?

    I knew that I wouldn't be in at 4pm, so asked my other housemates if they would be free around that time. One of them said they would. So I replied to my agent saying that 4pm is fine.

    Then, today, something came up for my housemate and he told me that he couldn't be home in the afternoon, so this meant that no one would be home for people to view the place.

    So I messaged the agent telling her the situation and asked if it's possible to postpone or set another day? Then I was busy for an hour or so and was unable to hear and check my phone during this time. Then when I was free, I checked my phone and received 2 texts from my agent, 1 text from my Landlord and 3 missed calls from him too.

    The agent's message said she had already confirmed with the other party, it's late notice to cancel, confirmation was given last night by both parties, please assist in viewing at 4pm if possible (something along those lines).

    The message from my landlord said "KAREN. How can you turn down my agent appointment to view the house today at 4pm which u had agreed. They have group of 5 viewer as I told you in my email, at least 1 of u must be home. Hope it won't end up in legal action against u. Await ur phone call. Ong"

    I never did receive an email, I checked it last night before I went to bed and first thing this morning when I woke up, then checked it again after I read the sms just to make sure. Still received nothing....

    So I realised that word got round to my landlord pretty quick. I thought O.K. I'll ring the agent first because she deals with the other party, tell her that it was just an unforeseen circumstance and that I meant nothing by requesting to postpone the viewing. The only thing I could do is ask if 8pm is ok. She said she will have to ask the Landlord's agent and get back to me.

    She didn't get back to me til 8pm, to tell me that people will be viewing at 8:30. I wish she had got back to me earlier, because I was going to ring the landlord after she confirmed and explained to him that there was some misunderstanding, I was not refusing to cooperate and offered a different time for the viewing. But it was probably too late by that time to have called him about it.

    But really... LEGAL ACTION?! Seriously landlord, agents etc, do you really need to go to extreme lengths when you don't get your way and over something that has a very reasonable and logical explanation? Such a threat is just unnecessary! My landlord has just embarrassed himself because it's not like I was refusing entry or refusing to cooperate! I could have used legal action against him and/or the agents in the past over something unreasonable but decided not to because I thought that was too extreme and thought we could try and be civil. Obviously the Landlord doesn't think the same way.

    I am truly disappointed in him.

    *sigh*

    1 comment:

    1. Hi girl! My landlord tried to pull that one on me too! He demanded me or the other roomie to sit home whole Saturday afternoon and show the empty room to prospect tenant. But we showed him that in the tenancy agreement, it only states we cannot lock away agents and landlord from showing the property, but nothing about us being there or cooperating for the case success.

      As revenge/punishment for our lack of "goodwill" the Landlord ordered us to clean all of our stuff from kitchen and common area O_o, including the hanger for drying laundry! He's such a greedy man =x

      ReplyDelete